Playing Picasso
In our first class this semester, the girls created cubist portraits in the style pioneered by Pablo Picasso and George Braque. The object of this lesson was for the girls to think about how to take a realistic face, pull the pieces apart (eyes, noses, mouths, etc…) and put them back together from a new vantage point. With the girls foundation in abstract art from the last semester, they were pretty well versed (and they toiled me ;) in how to do this. We discussed the cubist movement and the drive behind artists to create art that was different and more interesting than the art that was being created during this time.
What I think is most important in this lesson is that the girls develop a language for doing things differently. Something I encourage in each class is that art is not necessarily about making works that look a certain way, but it is often about creating works that are interesting, new and pleasing to our eyes. I think you’ll see the works the girls created did just that.

No comments:
Post a Comment